Naval Today
  • Vessels
  • Equipment & Technology
  • Operations
  • Capital Investments
  • Authorities
  • More news
JobsNewsletter
Naval Today logo

Your trusted source for naval and maritime news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Equipment & technology
  • Industry
  • Vessels
  • Operations
  • Training & Education
Network
  • NavalToday
  • Dredging Today
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Sortie Condition Bravo ordered for US Navy’s Norfolk-based ships

September 9, 2018 · about 8 years ago

Sortie Condition Bravo ordered for US Navy’s Norfolk-based ships

US Fleet Forces (USFF) Command ordered all US Navy ships in the Hampton Roads area to set Sortie Condition Bravo ahead of Florence. The tropical storm Florence was upgraded to a hurricane on Sunday. The US Navy ships made final preparations during the weekend in anticipation of the hurricane. Previo

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

US Fleet Forces (USFF) Command ordered all US Navy ships in the Hampton Roads area to set Sortie Condition Bravo ahead of Florence.

The tropical storm Florence was upgraded to a hurricane on Sunday. The US Navy ships made final preparations during the weekend in anticipation of the hurricane.

Previously, Sortie Condition Charlie was ordered for Norfolk-based ships.

“The decision to sortie the ships from Hampton Roads is based on Tropcial Storm Florence’s current track, which indicates the storm has the potential to bring sustained winds in excess of 50 knots and storm surge in excess of 8 feet to the area, which meets the criteria for getting the fleet underway to avoid storm damage,” USFF Commander Adm. Christopher Grady, said.

“Our ships can better weather storms of this magnitude when they are underway,” he explained.

The forecasted destructive winds and tidal surge are too great to keep the ships in port. Having the ships underway also makes them ready and available to respond to any national tasking, including any needed disaster response efforts in the local area after the storm has passed.

Preparations for ships getting underway start with Sortie Condition Charlie, which indicates the onset of destructive weather conditions to the port within approximately 72 hours.

Sortie Condition Bravo is set when onset of destructive weather conditions to the port are within approximately 48 hours.

No evacuation orders have been issued for personnel at this time, according to the navy.

On Sunday at 1100 PM AST (0300 UTC), the center of Hurricane Florence was located near latitude 24.6 North, longitude 57.7 West. On the forecast track, the center of Florence will move over the southwestern Atlantic Ocean between Bermuda and the Bahamas Tuesday and Wednesday, and approach the southeastern coast of the United States on Thursday, the National Hurricane Center said in an advisory.

Florence continues to strengthen and is expected to become a major hurricane by Monday night and to remain “an extremely dangerous major hurricane” through Thursday.

Reach the Naval Today industry in one go!

Naval Today is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Naval Today on:

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1Raytheon wins USD 22.9 billion contract to deliver Tomahawk missiles to U.S. Navy
  2. 2Ultra Maritime tests autonomous technology for counter-UUV and ASW
  3. 3Trump opens doors to foreign navy shipbuilding, seeks return to steam catapults on carriers
  4. 4US establishes new multi-domain attack drone task force

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free