The US Coast Guard decommissioned the Island-class cutter Galveston Island (WPB 1349) in a ceremony held at Coast Guard Base Honolulu on March 16.
The 110-foot patrol boat was decommissioned after nearly 26 years of service as part of recapitalization efforts.
Its years of service included law enforcement cases, safety and security enforcement patrols, presidential security operations, and a variety of noteworthy rescues at sea.
“The ship has been integral to the Coast Guard’s numerous missions and District Fourteen initiatives since its commissioning,” said Lt. Steele Johnson, commanding officer of Galveston Island. “The island class patrol boats have been the workhorses of the Coast Guard for nearly 30 years, and this ship has been no exception. The Galveston Island may leave our service today, but its legacy lives on.”
The Galveston Island entered in commission-special status in a ceremony held at Bollinger Shipyards in Lockport, Louisiana, Feb. 24, 1992. On its maiden voyage, the crew stopped in Galveston, Texas, where the governor of Texas presented them with their own set of Texas longhorns for the ship. The mayor of the city also declared March 28 and 29 “USCGC Galveston Island Day” in the city.
Known as the “Pacific Prowler,” Galveston Island always served the Pacific region. Its first homeport was Apra Harbor, Guam, and shifted to Honolulu in the late summer of 2006. At that time the ship assumed the motto, “kelamoku nō ka ‘oi” meaning “the best sailor.”
Galveston Island is the last of 49 Island Class cutters built to replace the 95-foot Cape Class cutters.
Galveston Island is set to be transferred to another country by the US State Department through the Foreign Assistance Act.