On Monday, June 23, the Navy League of the United States New York Council will honor the following individuals at its 112th Annual Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria New York:
– Gordon M. Bethune, retired chairman of Continental Airlines, will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award;
– Rear Admiral J. Robert Lunney, NY Naval Militia Retired, former Judge Advocate General for the New York Naval Militia will receive the Patriot’s Award;
– C. Michael Petters, president and chief executive officer, Huntington Ingalls Industries will receive the Rear Admiral John J. Bergen Award for Leadership in Industry;
– Admiral John M. Richardson, U.S. Navy, Director Naval Reactors will receive the Distinguished Service Award;
– Miles Young, Worldwide Chairman & CEO Ogilvy & Mather will receive the Leadership Award.
The Navy League was formed 112 years ago in New York City with the encouragement of President Theodore Roosevelt.
The principal programs of the New York Council include support of active duty personnel, including welcoming thousands of sailors, Marines and Coast Guard personnel during ship visits to New York, and maintaining educational excellence in the Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, Young Marines and Sea Cadet programs. The Council also supports of the crew of USS New York (LPD-21), their adopted ship, and supported the establishment of a supplemental education fund for the crew, which is designed to last for the life of the ship. In addition, this year two new programs were initiated: a new forward-focused speaker program about “The New Ways of War,” and the first annual Commodore John Barry Book Award to recognize significant contributions to American maritime literature.
Press Release, June 19, 2014; Image: Wikimedia