Irish Naval Service has announced tender for provision of rough terrain crane . Crane to be with a single cab and boom down type, new or second hand, compact design, overall dimensions not to exceed 9.5m in length and 2.5m in width), to be capable of operating in a dockyard and marine environment. Minimum lift capacity 22T or greater.
About Irish Naval Service
The Naval Service is the navy of Ireland and is one of the three standing branches of the Irish Defence Forces. Its main base is in Haulbowline, County Cork.
Naval Service vessels are all named with traditional Irish female names, taken from history and Celtic mythology. The ship prefix LÉ stands for Long Éireannach, “Irish ship” in the Irish language.
In September 1946, the Marine Service was formally disbanded and the Naval Service established as a permanent component of the Irish Defence Forces. The navy purchased three Corvettes from the United Kingdom in 1946 and 1947. The tradition of naming Irish Naval Ships after figures in Celtic Mythology began, and the ships were named Cliona, Maev and Macha. These three ships were to become a key part of the Naval Service in the 1950s and 1960s. The First formal training of Irish naval cadets took place at the Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, UK in 1947. In 1970, the Cliona and Macha were withdrawn from service and scrapped, leaving the Maev as the sole ship in the Naval Service. The Maev was withdrawn from service in 1972. In 1971, the Naval Service commissioned three armed minesweepers: Grainne, Banba and Fola.
In 1971 the Naval Service commissioned Verlome Cork Dockyard to build an offshore patrol ship. Named the LÉ Deirdre, it was the first naval vessel purpose-built in Ireland to patrol its waters. The Economic Exclusion Zone of Ireland was increased in 1976 from 12 to 200 miles. The subsequent strain put on the Naval Service prompted funding from the European Economic Community to build seven naval ships, five of which remain in service today; the LÉ Setanta, sold in 1980, and LÉ Deirdre, sold in 2001, having been decommissioned. A Danish stern trawler Helen Basse was leased for a year, serving under the name LÉ Ferdia.
The 50th anniversary of the Naval Service took place in 1996. Celebrations included a fleet review by president Mary Robinson. In 1999, a new ship LÉ Róisin was delivered to the Navy, marking the beginning of a new class of larger patrol vessels. The most recent addition to the fleet has been LÉ Niamh, commissioned in September 2001.
While most missions undertaken by the Naval Service are in Irish waters, on occasion longer missions are undertaken in support of Irish forces serving with the United Nations, representing Ireland, or in support of Irish trade missions. In 2002 LÉ Niamh delivered supplies to Irish troops in Eritrea, then continued on a trade promotional tour to India, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Korea, and Japan, becoming the first Irish naval vessel to cross the Equator. In 2006 LÉ Eithne traveled to Argentina, attending ceremonies connected with the 149th anniversary of the death of Irish-born Admiral William Brown, founder of the Argentine Navy, and also visited ports in Uruguay and Brazil. In 2010, the LÉ Niamh traveled to the Americas, visiting Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico and the United States.
Tender Details: Open Procedure
Tender Deadline: 4.10.2011
Source: military, September 16, 2011;